Minutes of the SGAICO Assembly Meeting in Lausanne, Nov 27, 2013
Plans for 2014
- The next SGAICO event is the Data Science Workshop organized by ZHAW Datalab, Dr. Thilo Stadelmann.
- The next SGAICO Assembly and Workshop will be held at the University of Basel in Fall 2014, hosted by the AI group of Prof. Malte Helmert.
- The core team will continue to run SGAICO. It currently consists of Klaus Bena, Jana Koehler, Jean-Daniel Dessimoz, Thilo Stadelmann, Rene Schumann. As Klaus is currently struggling with some health problems, the overall coordination will be done by Jana.
- We plan to hold elections of a new president and board at the next Assembly in Fall 2014.
- Members agreed that SGAICO should mostly focus on increasing the publicity of AI/CS in Switzerland and on advertising AI work by coordinating AI/CS activities. AI/CS research has made signifcant progress and the importance of AI-based technology is growing. Some breakthrough applications can be expected in the near future. SGAICO should help in promoting AI/CS work in Switzerland and become a contact point for interested parties (Public, Education, Industry).
- We agreed to invite AI/CS Groups to have their web pages linked to the SGAICO website to provide an overview on AI/CS work in Switzerland. Coordination: Jana Koehler
- In addition, a list of AI-related courses will be added to the website. Coordination: Thilo Stadelmann
AI Courses in University Education
- Students show an increased interest in AI-related courses, but the offer at each university is limited. Members agreed to exchange information on their AI courses. In a second step, we want to explore opportunities to offer cross-university AI education in the form of a summer school or block week with credits being granted and accepted by all universities.
Coordination: Thilo Stadelmann
Importance of Cognitive Science
- Members agreed that Cognitive Science is an important subarea and its connection to the more Computer Science-oriented AI should be strengthened.
Longer Term Activities
- The U Basel AI Group has been contacted to hold the german KI conference in Switzerland in 2015 or later. We agreed that SGAICO will support the opportunity to bring a larger AI-related event to Switzerland to the extent possible. Furthermore, SGAICO will coordinate its activities with this event, perhaps offer student grants, hold a Phd Seminar, provide tutorials. To be explored further. Coordination: Malte Helmert
Our annual assembly and workshop was a lifely event with an interesting list of talks (see below).
|09:00 ||Coffee & Croissants || || || |
|09:30 ||09:45 ||Welcome at EPFL ||Boi Faltings/Jana Koehler ||EPFL/HSLU || |
|09:45 ||10:15 ||talk 1 ||Wolfgang Schachner ||CEPIAG ||CEPIAG_III: an environment to simulate psychogenetical constructions |
|10:15 ||10:45 ||talk 2 ||Erö Csaba ||EPFL ||Data-driven building process of a multi-scale mouse-brain for closed-loop simulations |
|10:45 ||11:00 ||Coffee Break || || || |
|11:00 ||11:30 ||talk 3 ||Berat Denizdurduran ||EPFL ||A computational model of musculoskeletal system |
|11:30 ||12:00 ||talk 4 ||Jean-Daniel Dessimoz ||HESSO.HEIG-VD ||A Mutual Perspective of Artificial Cognition and Philosophy |
|12:00 ||12:30 ||talk 5 ||Goran Radanovic ||EPFL ||A Robust Bayesian Truth Serum for Non-binary Signals |
|12:30 ||13:00 ||talk 6 ||Marina Boia ||EPFL ||A :) Is Worth a Thousand Words: How People Attach Sentiment to Emoticons and Words in Tweets |
|13:00 ||14:00 ||Lunch & Discussion || || || |
|14:00 ||14:15 ||talk7 ||Thilo Stadelmann ||ZHAW School of Engineering ||Datalab - The Data Science Group at ZHAW School of Engineering |
|14:15 ||14:30 ||talk 8 ||Malte Helmert ||Uni Basel ||AI in Basel: Who we are and what we do |
|14:30 ||15:00 ||talk 9 ||Jendrik Seipp ||Uni Basel ||Counterexample-guided Abstraction Refinement for Classical Planning |
|15:00 ||15:30 ||talk 10 ||Jan Burse ||XLOG Technologies GmbH ||Practical Applications of a Constraint Framework |
|15:30 ||15:45 ||Coffee Break || || || |
|15:45 ||16:30 ||Assembly Meeting ||ALL ||SGAICO 2014 Plans ||Data Science Event March 2014 |
Topics for other SGAICO events 2014/2015
AI/CogSci in Swiss University Education
| || || || |
The EPFL Campus map can be found here (Building BC is in the middle left).